TMC Logo The Master's College
Wire To Wire In San Diego

The Master’s College scored the first 12 points of the game and rolled to an 83-75 win over San Diego Christian Tuesday evening in El Cajon. Winning the GSAC opener for both teams, the Mustangs never trailed and improved to 3-1.

Playing in a venue that has been tough on them over the years, the Mustangs roared out of the gate with Anthony Wells scoring the first seven points of the squad’s game-opening burst. Devin Dyer made it 9-0 on a jumper, Wells added another basket, and Paul Brown capped off the run with a free throw.

The Hawks finally dented the scoreboard with 17:25 left in the first half and then started to carve away at the deficit, pulling to within 19-16 on two Xavier Mylleville charity tosses. However, Brown ignited a 7-0 spurt with a jumper and two free throws, and Anthony Cammon finished it with a trifecta for a 26-16 advantage with 10:20 left in the opening half.

The Mustangs kept their distance from the Hawks, staying in front by at least six points until Leif Karlberg scored on a layup and Joey Fuca stuck a three-pointer to extend the margin to 35-24 with 2:36 remaining. Karlberg added another layup and that sent the Mustangs to halftime up 37-26.

Wells’ nine points paced the Mustangs in the first half when they outshot the Hawks 45%-29%.

A Karlberg trey three minutes into the second half extended the TMC lead to 43-30 but the Hawks scored eight of the next 10 points to draw within 45-38. They were down 47-40 with 15:08 remaining when the Mustangs made a move that decided the game.

It started with a Brown layup at the 14:59 mark and concluded just over two minutes later with a Karlberg jumper for a 56-40 lead. The high-water mark came with 11:02 remaining when Joey Fuca’s three-ball gave the Mustangs a 61-41 cushion.

But, the Hawks didn’t give up. Trailing 64-44 following a Karlberg three-pointer, the hosts started to chip away at the deficit. Outscoring the Mustangs 13-2 over a 7:23 span, the Hawks drew to within 68-60 with 1:26 left to play. A Brown layup temporarily stopped the bleeding, but the Hawks kept coming, pulling to within six points (72-66) with just under a minute left.

They made it a five-point game (76-71) on a Tim Sanders’ trifecta with 41 seconds left but Fuca started a parade to the free throw line with a couple of tosses and the Hawks never got closer. Brown added a free throw, Fuca added two more, and Karlberg completed the scoring with two charities.

Fuca led all scorers with 26 points, featuring a perfect performance (14-14) from the line. Karlberg went 4-6 from behind the arc en route to 20 points and Brown, making his first start, notched a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.

The Mustangs now take a one-week break before getting back into GSAC play against Hope International in Fullerton on November 30.

Game Stats

Questions or comments?