TMC Logo The Master's College
Blitzed in Azusa

Seventh-ranked Azusa Pacific blitzed The Master’s College with 57 first-half points and rolled to a 95-82 win over the Mustangs Tuesday evening in the San Gabriel Valley. It was the Mustangs’ fifth straight loss (8-11, 1-8) overall and eighth consecutive in the GSAC.

Although the Cougars shot a blistering 69% from the field over the opening 20 minutes, the Mustangs stayed with them through the initial 12 minutes. In fact, prior to the Cougars taking off on a game-changing 15-0 run, the Mustangs led by as many as seven points (25-18) on an Anthony Cammon three-pointer with 11:52 left in the period.

Down 11-8 at the 14:34 mark, the Mustangs ripped off eight points in a row to take a lead they would enjoy for more than six minutes. Joey Fuca’s two free throws initiated the spurt, Cammon drained a trifecta, and Fuca finished it with a three-point play.

They were still up 28-23 when the Cougars turned things around, holding the Mustangs scoreless for nearly five minutes while ringing up those 15 consecutive points. Devin Dyer ended the run with a layup but the Cougars sped away again, outscoring the Mustangs 12-4 in a three-minute window. The lead reached a half-high 19 points twice over the next few minutes, including the 57-38 margin at halftime.

The Cougars went 20-29 from the field in the first half, highlighted by an eye-popping 11-14 effort from behind the arc. Meanwhile, the Mustangs converted at a solid 47%, including 43% on three-point attempts.

Building their lead to a game-high, 21-point advantage on their first possession of the second half, the Cougars were moving toward putting the Mustangs away. But, there would be none of that so soon. Down 61-40 with 17:17 left to play, Brandon Bibbins and Cammon sandwiched three-balls around a Leif Karlberg layup, shrinking the deficit to 13 points with just under 16 minutes remaining.

APU responded with a 6-0 spurt to build the advantage back to 19 points (67-48), but the Mustangs turned right around and reeled off eight straight points to pull within 67-56 at the 11:27 mark. Cammon capped off the burst with another three-pointer, one of his five treys on the evening.

But, the momentum shifted just as quickly back to the Cougars who duplicated the Mustangs’ spurt with eight straight points of their own on the way to a 75-56 advantage. That proved to be the dagger that the Mustangs would not recover from. They never got closer than 13 points the rest of the way and that came after the final points of the evening were on the board.

The Cougars cooled down considerably in the second half, shooting 45% from the field and finishing at 57% for the game. Meanwhile, the Mustangs shot just over 47% and that’s where they finished overall. They actually shot better from behind the arc, going 15-31 (48%) on their three-point attempts.

Cammon, who has been on fire recently, led all scorers with 24 points, 15 of those coming on 5-8 accuracy from behind the arc. Dyer was almost as good, hitting 4-7 from long range en route to 20 points while Fuca had 18 more. Karlberg rounded out the club’s double-figure scorers with 13 points.

The Mustangs get another chance to end their losing skid Saturday evening when they host Vanguard in a game that tips off at 7:30 in Bross Gym.

Game Stats

Questions or comments?