Dr. Joseph W. FrancisProfessor of Biological Sciences
Cell Biology, Immunology, MicrobiologyOffice:
Reece Center for Science and MathematicsPhone:
(661) 259-3540 ext. 3158E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.orgPlease click here to visit Dr. Francis' Research Page
Ph.D., Wayne State University
B.S., Michigan State University
Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Michigan
- Principles of Biology
- Research Methods
- Foundations of Science
- Medical Microbiology
- Cell Biology
- Research in Biology
Return to Faculty Profiles
- Francis, J.W., Balazovich, K.J., Smolen, J.E., Margolis D.I., Boxer L.A.: Human Neutrophil Annexin I Promotes Granule Aggregation and Modulates Ca2+ -dependent Fusion of the Plasma Membrane Fraction with Liposomes. J Clin. Invest. 90:537 544 1992.
- Francis, J.W. and Sellers J.A., Simple Use of Word Processing Programs to study Amino Acid Sequence and Protein Structure The American Biology Teacher, 56:484, 1994.
- Francis, J.W., Technology-Enhanced Research in the Science Classroom. Students Track Down Proteins Through the Internet Maze. Journal of College Science Teaching, 26:192 December 1996
- Francis, J.W., Integration of a Web-Based Research Project into the Classroom: Promoting Positive Student Outcomes. Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 18:38-41 September 1997.
- Hessler J.H., Blackwood A., Brock T., Francis J.W., Harsh D.M., and Smolen J.E., Identification of Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase as a Calcium-Dependent Fusogen in Human Neutrophil CytosolJournal of Leukocyte Biology, 63:331-336, 1998.
- Francis, J.W., Use of the Internet Resources in the Biology Lecture Classroom: Journal of the American Biology Teacher. 62:1-4, 2000.
- Francis, J.W. Porter, R., Garret, M., Use of fluorescent probes to analyze the killing, encapsulation and chemotaxis functions of coelomocytes of the earthworm, Lumbricus terrestris. A chapter in A New Model for Analyzing Antimicrobial Peptides with Biomedical Applications. E.L. Cooper et al (Eds.) IOS Press, 2002.
- Francis J., Biology and the Scopes Trial. An Analysis of Biology Education During the 1920s with a Focus on High School Biology Texts. Invited paper presented and published in the conference proceedings at the Deconstructing Scopes Conference: Unraveling the Mythology of the World’s Most Famous Trial. March 20, 2006.
- Francis J., Wreesman S., Yong, S., Reigstad K., Krutzik S., and Cooper, E.L., The Search for Toll-like Receptors on Earthworm Coelomocytes, European Journal of Soil Biology,accepted for publication September 2007.
- Patel, M., Francis J., Cooper, E.L., and Fuller-Espie, S. Development of a flow cytometric, non-radioactive cytotoxicity assay in Eisenia fetida: An in vitro system designed to analyze immunosuppression of natural killer-like coelomocytes in response to 7,12 dimethylbenzanthracene (DMBA). European Journal of Soil Biology, accepted for publication September 2007
- Francis J. The Matrix, Life’s Support System Answers Magazine, July 2008.
- Francis J. Symbiosis, The Cooperation of Life Answers Magazine, July 2008
Return to Biological & Physical Science